Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Another day of SP

Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which people, either when falling asleep or wakening, temporarily experience an inability to move (being paralyzed). More formally, it is a transition state between wakefulness and rest characterized by complete muscle atonia (muscle weakness). 

After experiencing this one time, I read articles about it and found out that it usually occurs in two forms. If it occurs while you are falling asleep, it's called hypnagogic or predormital sleep paralysis – the one I just experienced this morning. If it happens as you are waking up, it's called hypnopompic or postdormital sleep paralysis – one I experienced several times in the past. 

Sleep paralysis is believed to be a result of disrupted REM sleep, which is normally characterized by complete muscle atonia that prevents individuals from acting out their dreams. This morning, as I was about to sleep, I suddenly felt that this is about to happen. There is a split second I have to choose whether I would cancel it or not. I chose to experience it rather! And this is the reason why I am writing this article.

On my readings, episodes of SP are accompanied by hallucinations and the sensation of breathlessness. Such hallucinations likely gave rise to the myths of the incubus and the succubus, demons that pin people down in their sleep. That of course is just a myth and I haven't seen them! And maybe because what I experience most of the time are just ISPs. But today is a different story. I sensed a malevolent presence nearby. When I tried to look up, there is an image. Since I am conscious and my body is just in paralysis, I remembered the myth. I focused on the image – I don't know how I did it because I was in the Rapid Eye Movement Stage – and what I saw is someone with a long hair and not scary. 

They said that some sleep paralysis episodes come with feelings of falling, floating or dissociating from the body. [Un]fortunately, I was fixed to my body. I didn't panic. I was analyzing what was happening. When I tried to move my hands, the faster REM I experienced. 

Lately, I was thinking that maybe there is truth to this:

"People with analytical thinking styles were less likely to hold such supernatural beliefs, and were less likely to be distressed after experiencing sleep paralysis. Analytical thinkers may be more likely to seek out and believe naturalistic or scientific explanations for the condition, the researchers wrote, while intuitive thinkers might be drawn to supernatural explanations." Stephanie Pappas, Livescience 2013

I remember how fast my eyes were moving. I also remember how I felt trying to move my hands just to see how fast my eyes could get. It was mind-blogging. Then after some minutes, I noticed that I can move my body already, and then I woke myself out.

Sleep paralysis is ultimately considered harmless. My advice, when you experience the same, just feel the moment and relax. You'll probably get through it. Haha. And pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment