It came. It ended.
Everything in full speed.
A very tiring last
day was the climax of all long those dragging days of this summer! Add the
boring instructors. Include the NSTP, plus the burden of waking and walking
everyday while my mind was imagining beaches, rivers, mountains, and everything
a person should enjoy in a typical summer. I couldn't imagine myself nor my
grades(grin). Everyday, I was riding on two boats: studies and the other one
carried me into clouds of daydreams and wishes. So, it is no wonder I made a
poor showing inside the classroom. Nonetheless, I crossed the line, satisfied
and even thankful.
Another summer term
has gone! Finally.
Home Sweet Home
I was home in the
morning of Thursday. A brilliant light welcomed me. The trees swayed in
the summer air. Hot it was, but this is home. I felt a sudden longingness to
this place, and it always feels good.
There is really no
place like home.
The road to our
house is always cheerful. It rocked me back and forth, joggled me up and down.
It reminds me of the four years I endured in high school. This road was a part
of my journey. Every morning back then was a challenge. I used to ride in
manong Ampiong's trike, later, in uncle Pogi and Jerry's whichever is
available. When the weather is hot and dry, I feast in tapok [dusts] and
ling-it [sweat]. When it rains, I rejoice in splatters of pitak [mud]. Those
days are flashing in an instant, and looking back makes me even more thankful
this time.
The house is silent as always, but you can
hear the taul [bark] of the dogs outside, the chirp of the mayas, and the
cackle of the hens busy in feeding their young. You can also hear the whistle
of the pulley while a karruba [neighbor] is fetching a pail of water. No one
uses the speaker in the house, nor did they try to play some songs. Lola does
anything she likes. Mom does the same, whilst dad would basically stay in our
small babuyan [piggery].
This is how they
spend the day. Very typical. But, I am very happy that mom volunteered to learn
how to use the PC. Now, she frequently opens her Facebook account, visits her
friends' walls, chats with people she is concerned with, and even does some videocalls.
I stayed inside the
house to get some rest and facebooked for some time. Mom barely found time for
her turn (grin). But, I was not a so-selfish son, so I gave her some minutes.
Kidding!
First Day: To the Mountains
It took us almost two hours to reach Disimungal, Nagtipunan, Quirino. All ate their lunch except me. I was so
hungry; they didn't know. Good thing I brought some biscuits.
When I finally
reached the place, the company had their rest already. I threw my camera and
cellphone, climbed to a height and plunged into the water! It was two meters
deep I suppose and the turquoise water was cold. It was a thrilling experience,
and it took me twice to really feel it was finally summer [I call it summer
because classes has already ended] although summer has ended to some.
We had a great time
to explore the place. There were kappi or kippi [crabs] living and a lot of
amlid [small fresh water fish; some call it puk-puklit] and watergliders. I
didn't find any bird except of a number of dragonflies. The locals know this
place but only a few tourist--if we were not the first--had visited this place
so far.
The team crossed the
river, but the kids convinced us stay and enjoy the water for a while.
Uncle Sammy brought
ducks enough for a supper. Pastor Jerry's mom did the cooking for us. Slices of
ripe papaya were also served. Babying our full stomach, the company enjoyed the
night so much. Uncle Kuting was a natural joker. With him, you cannot count how
many times you'll find yourself laughing.
I chose to sleep in
a long chair. It was cold, but a blanket and my jacket were enough to keep me
warm.
Second Day: To the Beach
A cultural song had
awaken me. It sounds like a music from the Cordilleras. I recognized some more
words so I might be correct if it were Kan-kanaey's.
Coffee awakened our
sleeping souls. Breakfast was ready: salted eggs with tomatoes, tuyo [dried
fish], and kinirog [sinangag; fried rice].
Not so
long when I began to notice some fruit peelings which look like that of a
rambutan. They were scattered along the road so I asked Pastor Jerry what they
are. Wild rambutan, he replied.
While
driving, we looked for this fruit so we can also try how it tastes. We were
lucky to find a tree full of these fruits. It was steep, but I really tried to
reach the place. There are a lot of ampipit [some kind of stinging ants] along
the way. I didn’t notice them immediately so they were able to sting me
passionately. It was both a HAHA and a
HUHU.
Dinadiawan!
After
two hours, we finally reached Aurora. There are a lot of coconut trees in the
area.
We
enjoyed some hours in the water but immediately gone back to the mountains for
supper. Uncle Sammy bought an igat[eel] which was "adoboed" and
"siniganged."
Junuan Falls: The Last Stop
What I
enjoyed the most was climbing the falls. I was so careful because the rocks are
slimy. The rushing water massaged us somehow.
It was
also fun watching the crabs outrunning each other every time I throw rice in
the water.
Extended
It
rained but it didn't stop us to go to another place-- spelunking time!
Then boom! Summer suddenly ended.
I bade
my farewell to my family, and travelled back to Baguio.

No comments:
Post a Comment