Sunday, August 11, 2013

Gilas Pilipinas and Philippine Basketball

Gilas Pilipinas
I do not play basketball, but I love this game so much.

As a child, basketball was nothing. I see my kuya wear his jersey and play basketball on different courts, but it did not ever interest me. Later, when I was already in Isabela, friends introduced the game to me and the basic rules which I consider harder to understand than the lessons in school. I played several times, but I was not really into it; my height being the biggest hindrance.

The last time I played it, as far as I can remember, was last May with the youth in our church. I was challenged, and I agreed, not because I couldn't say no but because I want to enjoy the time.

Today, our own Gilas has even made me love and appreciate the game more. It was in the 70s when we were topping basketball in Asia and even playing in the World Championships. However, as years passed, we were outlasted by our counterparts. We declined, but the good thing is, we never let go. Filipinos embraced the game since the beginning, and we never lose hope seeing our country regain its lost glory. August 10, 2013 is now recorded in the Philippine timeline as the Philippine team made it to the FIBA Asia Final Four, defeated South Korea on the way, and reached the championship match against an undefeated Iranian team.

But no matter what happens on the finals -winning, of course, will put the icing on the cake, we're now qualified to the 2014 FIBA World Cup which will be held in Spain. Yes, after years of hoping and trials, we made it again.

Maybe it's too early yet to celebrate, but I am now assuming the Philippines will defend Iran today. It is not impossible for us to achieve this feat. We can, and we will do it on our own court with the support of our whole crowd.

Thank you Gilas, coach Chot and everyone who deserves this credit.  You made us prouder Filipino fans. You placed Philippine Basketball on the pedestal. Mabuhay!

"It’s The Heart Of The Filipino." -Marcus Douthit, national team
***

Photo is lifted from the Smart Gilas Pilipinas 2.0 Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment