Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Eggs

It was a pleasant morning and there's just a lot of things to do. My cousin Vincent called me to accompany him. 

We went to their kalapaw and enjoyed the lovely view of Karayan Laud (a river). We sat under a damurtis [camachile] and exchanged some jokes.

The weather became hotter so we tried to roam in their kalapaw. We saw that there were ripe sineguelas already. He climbed and gathered some of them. The kalapaw was unorganized, but it is a decent nipa hut good for resting. So we stayed there until we got bored and decided to go back to the sitio.

As we followed the trail we made earlier, we noticed a small camachile tree and a nest on its center. We got curious and pulled the nest. There were eggs on it - five white maya eggs. As much as we wanted to bring them home, we left them on the lower part of the tree so we can easily get them the second time. We hurried home for lunch.

I ate at Tita Sinang, again. I enjoyed eating with their company. I used to eat there when I'm too lazy to go to our house. Mother would always expect that when I did not go home for lunch, I previously had it from another house. Well, I don't feel any shyness or doubt when they offer me lunches or even dinners. That's not in my vocabulary BEFORE.

After lunch, we rested and went back to check the eggs. We frolicked on the bed of the river and even kicked our feet on the sand. Excited as we were, we jumped into the tree to get the egg, bring them home and boast them to our friends.

Then...
My kuya shouted and tried to pull me! I didn't know why he did that. He pulled me away and rushed me on the rocks.

I asked him why, and he pointed something at the foot of the tree. There was a snake!

It took me seconds to realize that that was dangerous! My heart jumped, and I ran as fast as I could.

I wish we never saw those eggs. I wish we were not that eager at that time so we could have let them stay there, hatch, and become birds.

I did not tell mom about that anymore. I was afraid she might not let me go to the kalapaw or to the river again.

***
Kuya Vincent is one of the best buddies I had when I was still a little boy. Often do we take a bath near their bubon [stonewell] skinny and carefree, as far as I can remember. Hahaha.

If I am not mistaken, we stood there for one minute. How come the snake was not able bite us? 

I was the one really near the snake. Kuya Anjo was behind me. If he did not see this living thing, then I might have been bitten. If it were a very poisonous snake, then I might have died a few minutes after.

No comments:

Post a Comment